Friday, May 17, 2019

Kata - Is the training tool still a waste of time?

According to reports, Gichin Funakoshi practiced only Nianchi [sometimes called Tekki Shodan] during the first 10 years of karate training. Sanshin [or Sam Chien] appears in martial arts throughout southern China, as well as in Okinawa and Japanese karate. This is usually the first and last thing that students practice in training. To learn Wing Chun Kung Fu, you must spend at least one year mastering its three forms.

Each of the above examples shows the preciousness of Kata in martial arts. However, many people today choose to evade their Kata practice, saying it is useless and wasting their time. why is it like this? If Funakoshi spent 10 years on a Kata, and Wing Chunists had mastered the entire year before learning the next form, there would be something inside. Have we missed this? In our wisdom, we lose contact with the valuable and even unimportant components of our martial arts?

The problem I found has two problems.

1 - Ring Sports and track and field are the hot frontiers of martial arts. The audience does not want to see impeccable performances. They want to see a battle.

2 - Coaches often don't know what they are teaching. Martial arts are affected in Chinese whispering games around the world, and each generation loses more information.

But what is Kata, and why are they?

Personal Kata [or form, Sayaw, mode, whatever the name...] or indeed a series of Kata, such as Wing Chun or Karate's Pinan [Hein] series, was originally designed to assist in training the combat system. Each kata / sequence itself is a complete combat system. The master either teaches a Kata or occasionally develops a kata by the student so that the student can practice and refer to his skills alone.

The actions in kata will be taught in detail and explore and test the application in real time. The part of Kata will be taken and will form the core of a entrainment session, a specific pose will be broken down so that it can be trained from scratch. Whether the posture is strong and the body structure is properly aligned, how can I get the most power at the beginning, middle and end of the movement. What impact this will have on my training partner [so I hope it will work in real-life scenarios].

It doesn't make sense without action. Even the smallest moves are seen as its amazing, locked, throwing or defensive potential. There are several applications for each move, perhaps for a throw that avoids charging rather than grabbing it, rather than hitting it back. Can it be used on the ground? Ok, they found out.

Suddenly, Kata is more than just an empty dance. It is a real battle technology library that is useful and useful in real street encounters. So who is doing this in their own training? I think you are very few.

Although several names have become a conspiracy to reinvent the practical Kata training [Iain Abernethy is the most popular, if you can grab his book and DVD, I suggest you do this] most teachers just tell you the action, you copy them Then you continue to learn another kata, then another. When I was awarded my first Dan in Wado Ryu, I knew about 12 kata, and after 10 years I reached about 20 or so. I only did it 5 times today. But I really started to understand these 5, they are no longer empty sequences.

Take the example of Seisan kata of Wado Ryu. After my back weight was too heavy, I started to use this to start again. The reason I train Seisan is mainly for the breathing and tension involved in the first quarter. I have written about power breathing before, so I won't write it down here, but needless to say that Kata helps me build strength in the middle, which helps to repair the damaged back faster. Because I train this kata every day, I started to realize that some of my favorite tricks are included in its movements.

When I don't teach, I work in safety. My favorite "to come together" is that a straight arm is blocked by my chest, and the shape I made while applying the hold is in the first part of Seisan. This is just one of my applications for this sport. I also have other people. It is a downright parry defense. It is a gooseneck wrist lock. It is a full-scale parry with a counterattack. It is taken down with #39;sa. You may be totally different, depending on your fighting style.

Never, Seisan, for me, is a gold mine of information that suits my personal martial arts style. As a comment, you can see that I am performing Seisan on the wildgeesma YouTube page called "Old School Core Training." One commenter posted a comment about my identity, and another comment said that doing karate is a karate injury. I asked the two to expand their opinions in order to better understand their ideas. Since neither of them bothered me, I can only assume that they viewed kata practice in the typical view that is prevalent today and did not understand Kata's practice but chose to focus on its aesthetic attributes. The battle is not aesthetically pleasing, it is cruel and violent.

Use Kata for ring sports? Yes, but they call it "Tai Chi" with a different name. Shadow boxing is not Kata? Of course, practicing a series of perfectly executed actions, this is kata. Although most people will randomly hit the shadow box, the champions use it as an opportunity to perform the best combination training.

The inspiration for this article was actually produced after a conversation with Richie "The Sherriff" Carton. Professor Richie Taekwondo at the WGMA headquarters on Tuesday and Thursday. Over the years, Rich has won several championship titles and trained many fighters to win the championship. His most recent success was when Ronan McSweeney returned from Belfast last December and won the world super heavyweight title and several other belts from his opponent.

While chatting with Richie, I found that he has guided the four combinations of Ronan. It is these four combinations that have won the battle. I suddenly realized that the first Kata in the Carton Taekwondo system may have just been created.

Think about it, Ronan trains these four combinations over and over until they become ingrained, and then he goes out to fight without having to think about them consciously, they just come out at the right time, reflectively. This is how kata works.

If Ronan took the time to turn these four combinations into a sequence that is easy to remember, I believe it will soon become a similar useless piece of martial arts, and most other martial arts will become useless over time. But now, at least for Ronan [and his opponent] this Kata is still alive.

At the beginning of the article I asked Kata whether it was a valuable tool or a waste of time. I don't know if I have answered this question for you, but I hope I can give you room to think.

If you practice Kata, I hope you look at it with fresh eyes. Check what you use most often in the play/champion/real scene to see if you can identify these shapes in any kata. Contains the most relevant shape of kata, which stands for your style.

Continue training and keep learning.




Orignal From: Kata - Is the training tool still a waste of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment